Chapter 1: Writing productively
- Warm up before you write
- Silence your inner critic
- It’s easier to write when you know what you want to say
- When should you stop doing science and start writing a paper?
- No one reads your paper either
Chapter 2: Constructing meaningful sentences and paragraphs
- Writing paragraphs that make sense—the topic and the stress position
- To write well, learn how to read
Chapter 3: Writing scientific papers, grants, etc.
- Writing a scientific paper in four easy steps
- How to prepare an article for resubmission
- How to prepare an article for resubmission, Part II
- The critical need in a grant application
- Use fine-grained sectioning in your grant proposals
Chapter 4: Creating professional graphs and figures
Professional Development as a Scientist
Chapter 1: The academic career
- From undergraduate to faculty member: Critical decision points in the academic career
- How good is good enough?
- How to choose the right lab for graduate school
- What is the value of a mentor?
- Surviving the pre-tenure years at an R1 university
Chapter 2: Being successful in graduate school
- Understanding the graduate-school interview or recruitment event
- 6 reasons to do your graduate work in the lab of a junior PI, and 6 reasons not to
- How to pick a thesis committee
- How to schedule a committee meeting
- Excess ambition—the eternal flaw of all PhD thesis proposals
Chapter 3: Applying for jobs
Chapter 4: Applying for funding
Chapter 5: Miscellaneous topics
- How to develop a research question
- How to develop a research question, Part II
- Safety projects
- Share your preliminary work with other people, even if you think it's crap
- What does it take to be a computational biologist?
- Should you as a scientist be active on LinkedIn?
- How to approach professors by email